Friday, March 28, 2014

Nebula vs. Hugo: An Unexpected Finding

When I started this whole book-review project, I predicted to myself that I would like the Nebula winners more than the Hugo winners. Presumptuous as I am, I thought that since the Nebula awards are awarded by science fiction writers, they must be of higher quality.

But, lo and behold, it turns out that I have rated the Nebula winners slightly lower, on average, than the Hugo winners. 

There are currently 89 novels that have won the Nebula and/or the Hugo award. 27 have won only the Nebula, 40 books have won only the Hugo, and 22 have won both. Here are my average ratings:

Nebula Only: 2.6 
Hugo Only: 2.9
Both Hugo and Nebula:  3.4 

You can see even more detail about the distribution of ratings by award type in the graph below:


No comments:

Post a Comment