Monday, March 24, 2014

Mission: Possible

Well, my dear readers, there it is. Finishing Redshirts means that I have at last completed my project to read all of the Hugo and Nebula award winning novels to date.

Thank you to everyone who read my reviews and commented, griped, agreed, and disagreed, whether online or in person. I love that there is a community of people out there who enjoy this stuff as much as I do.

This project has exposed me to so many new authors and ideas. I am particularly grateful to have read books by Connie Willis, Jack McDevitt, Roger Zelazny, Joe Haldeman, Elizabeth Moon, and Kim Stanley Robinson for the first time, and to have read more by Philip K. Dick, Isaac Asimov, Orson Scott Card, Arthur C. Clarke, and Neal Stephenson.

And I'm even glad to have had to read more Heinlein. Sort of.

So... I've done what I set out to do, and I'm pretty proud of it.

But, you know, the thing is, there still is a universe out there of books to read. There are three retro Hugos, awarded to SF classics that were published before the award was created. And there are all the Locus and Campbell award winners. And then, for crying out loud, there are all the Hugo, Nebula, Locus, and Campbell nominees.

And not only that, but there are innumerable essays that could be written about the winners on gender, religion, technology, you name it. There are exhaustive statistical analyses to be done about star ratings by decade and award type.

And besides that, I have a backlog of reviews of Edgar award winners that I might want to sneak in here.

I am probably going to slow down on the reviews for a while; I won't be getting one done every week like I have in the past. But I will still be reading. And that means I'll probably still want to use this space to vent my opinions on the world a while longer. So stay tuned, fellow readers.

1 comment:

  1. Good job, Cthulhu!

    I enjoyed all your reviews and several of them inspired me to try some new authors.

    Please prioritize the Retro Hugos on your return, but until then I hope you enjoy some "me time" down in your Antarctican lair.

    ReplyDelete